Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Nutrition and Hospitals - Need I Say More?


So my father was recently in the hospital having surgery. He had a fistula from Diverticulitis (hence why I had the few posts on fiber). Anyway, I just wanted to vent how disgusted I am by the stuff they tried to pass as food in that place. I really don't understand how a place full of sick and injured people wouldn't place any emphasis on good nutrition. It's not like they aren't making any money in these places. Two days after his surgery (to remove a section of his colon) they put a tray in front of him with an ice cream scoop of processed mac n cheese, brown vegetables (they had been nuked to death) and a piece of white bread...SERIOUSLY!? Thankfully my sister was there and let them have it about how ridiculous that was and they promptly gave him some slightly more nutritious foods. But think about how many people don't have any advocates there for them, or the people who just don't know any better. Shouldn't a place full of health workers know better? It really makes me want to figure out a way to change things. This is where I really wish I had a nutrition degree to back up the wealth of knowledge I have so that these people will listen to me and make a change. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I wondered that myself...but..I came to the conclusion that hospitals do not want the public healthy,really,look at how much money the medical community would lose including jobs if people really got so well they didn't need there services.Nurses are really bad when in comes to junk food.I worked for two hospitals in my lifetime.One can not imagine all the high calorie goodies,candies and rich cookies all the doctors on staff and the administration leaves for the floors to munch on.The staff workers are the next ones in line. It is very hard to resist,especially if that day is so busy and you are hungry and do not have time for lunch or a break.Those in charge are counting on that.I believe its a real conspiracy for the future too insure income for them. Your post is all to real and in its own way heartbreaking to boot.Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really hit the nail on the head. Our healthcare industry is out of control! I have always said, a hospital is a great place to go if you have a broken arm, but for anything else your guess is as good as theirs!! It makes me want to puke...

    ReplyDelete

Beth and Morgans Blog