Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Raw Almonds

So I just recently purchased some "raw" almonds from Whole Foods. Well at least I thought they were raw and why shouldn't I have, the bin said RAW ALMONDS. Well, after my purchase I was informed that the stores, or at least the majority of the stores, can sell almonds claiming them to be raw but they are in fact pasteurized. Hmmm, that's slightly annoying. Apparently after the salmonella scare a while back they started pasteurizing the nuts to be on the safe side. That's all fine and dandy, but why still the raw label? Obviously raw means just that, raw. Not cooked in anyway. I see they are not roasted, but still all or most enzymes are dead when pasteurized. So I guess unless you know your nut farmer or your direct supplier, you are pretty much guaranteed to be getting non raw almonds. What next right ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beth and Morgans Blog