Friday, September 23, 2011

A Little Arsenic in your Apple Juice

A lot of people have been asking me if I had heard anything about the arsenic in apple juice. Apparently Dr. Oz had a show about it. He tested a few different brands of apple juice and there were traces of arsenic in most of them. The issue is that most of the apple juice we use in America is from concentrate and that gets imported from China were it gets exposed to pesticides that may contain arsenic. (I do want to note here that apple juice concentrate is also used to sweeten a lot of processed food products including food bars, fruit snacks, etc.) After his show aired the apple juice companies and the FDA were all fired up (shocked aren't you). The FDA released a statement stating that these were "acceptable" levels of arsenic in the juices.........I'm sorry, what did I just say...... that's right I guess the FDA thinks it's perfectly acceptable to consume some levels of arsenic. They never cease to amaze me I swear. Anyway, I have read that there is a little glitch in Dr Oz's research though. There are two different kinds of arsenic; inorganic (man-made) and organic (naturally occurring) and in his testing they did not separate the two. So, it's a little tainted in my book. The moral to the story...if you make sure and buy organic apple juice (preferably made in USA) you are not going to be exposed to the inorganic arsenic (you know, the stuff that can kill you).


Here's the link from the Dr Oz show:
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/arsenic-apple-juice

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes wonder about the FDA.I think there regulations suck.Seems to me that they are not doing there job.Apple Juice shouldn't have not "one" level of arsenic" in it!!Yes,pay abit more for Organic,made in the USA.Great post.Many people just go to the store and grab items without reading the labels.Bad mistake.Now,unlike the pass,going to the store requires alot of time and reading in order to get decent food.After all,it is your body.We have enough problems with toxic chemicals in our soil and air without having to ingest them into our system directly."Sigh" will it ever end or is our government trying to kill alot of us off indirectly??I sometimes wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally feel the FDA is a waste of tax payers money. They do not have the resources to regulate everything. They leave regulations up to profit seeking companies and then wonder why stuff goes wrong. Obama just enlisted a Monsanto guru as the head of the FDA, that alone is the scariest thing I have ever heard. Since he has been in office there have been multiple raids on small raw milk farms. Really, that is what you want to spend your resources on FDA, really?? It makes me sick. Big government has definitely gotten out of control!! Morgan

    ReplyDelete

Beth and Morgans Blog