Friday, July 15, 2011

Homemade Chai Tea

I have the most amazing Chai Tea recipe. It is way better then any store bought one I have ever tried. If you can't have milk, I'm sure you can swap it out with almond or coconut milk. I keep all the spices in my freezer to prolong their shelf life. Let me know what you think!

Chai Tea
2 cups water
2 individual tea bags (black or green or one of ea)
1 cinnamon stick
6 cardamom pods, crushed
1 whole clove
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a pan over medium heat, combine the first 6 ingredients and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the milk and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Strain all the spices out then add sugar and vanilla. Serve hot or over ice. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I get real naughty and use some 1/2 n 1/2 and milk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other thing I do is make up several snack-sized baggies of the tea and spices at one time so I can have chai whenever I want and not have to assemble all the ingredients each time.

    Your local Indian store is a good source for inexpensive spices, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy,sounds like a great drink to me,,I will have to try it ;>) thank you for this very interesting recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Beth and Morgans Blog