Monday, May 16, 2011

Ear Injuries

I was on the phone the other day and all of the sudden I hear my son screaming (that blood curdling cry scream). I get off the phone, run into the room and he is holding his ear crying and screaming "sissy put a chopstick in my ear". Holy crap is what is going in my head at that very moment. I can't even imagine the pain that would cause.

So what now... Now I would like to think I know a little about a lot of things, but ears...I've got nothing! My kids have never even had an ear infection so I have not had to deal with ears issues. There was no blood (typically this type of injury produces a lot of blood) so I wasn't sure what the damage was but I knew it had to be checked out. I tried calling some people and of course now is the time NO ONE answers their phones!

The crappy thing is I was in the process of switching pediatricians but hadn't made it official so when I called her office they were only taking messages. Someone was supposed to call me back, however that obviously wasn't going to work I had a screaming child on my hands. So my husband finally called back and told me to go to the walk in clinic so I did. They were backed up and told me to go to the ER. I didn't want to do that because I know that is never a speedy process. I called my old pediatrician and they told me to come right in (darn, should have done that first).

He checked his ear and said he had a perforated eardrum. My poor baby!! The orders were to not put anything in the ear and make sure nothing (including water) gets in his ear until he re checks it in 2 weeks (the average time it takes to heal). Now going back to my original comment about knowing nothing about ears, when the injury first happened and no one answered their phone I thought I had to do something so I put a drop of garlic and mullein oil in his ear (feeling pretty bad about that!) I knew those drops were anti-bacterial/anti-fungal so I thought maybe it would soothe the pain.

I did put a call into my naturopath and she suggested I give him Arnica (trauma/bruising) and Ledum (puncture wounds) homeopathics. I also purchased some moldable ear buds for when he is taking a bath or around water.


So the moral of this story is to never give children chopsticks and don't put anything in an ear if it's been injured!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beth and Morgans Blog