Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Water Kefir and Kombocha -- fermented probiotic drinks

My sister brought me some of her water kefir the other day and it was so yummy! What is water kefir you say? Well it is a fermented probiotic drink. It will be my first attempt to make it so we shall see. Basically from what she says is you take the kefir (which is a grain/fungus looking thing) and you feed it sugar, water and a fruit juice of your preference and let it ferment. With the fermentation comes probiotics, which is good for your intestines (but you already knew that right??) Some of you may have already heard of or even bought yogurt Kefir at the store. My kids love it. Same idea, but without the dairy. I'm not sure the sugar levels for those of you with Candida issues. After I make it I will report back those details.

Kombucha is essentially the same thing, however, it has a more vinegar flavor. I was actually at my dairy co op and there was a lady there selling the Kombucha she makes. It was delicious and only $2.50 a pint!! A popular brand that they sell at Whole Foods or other health food stores is GT Kombucha. It is a pretty neat story how this company came to be. Basically GT's mom had cancer and he made the Kombucha for her to drink everyday to aide her body in her fight of the cancer and she had a speedy recovery (my short version, check out their website for more details wwwsynergydrinks.com).

1 comment:

  1. Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one. probiotics au

    ReplyDelete

Beth and Morgans Blog