Saturday, March 19, 2011

Homemade Tortillas

Has anyone noticed the flour tortillas you buy in the store taste like cardboard? Well I did so I started making my own from scratch. Shocked aren't you? Next time you look at a package of them, read the ingredients. For some reason to make cardboard, you have to add 30 ingredients...maybe that's why making them from scratch only requires 5!

Now, I went to the local Latin store and bought a tortilla press. If you want to get really fancy like my sister ;o) you can also get an electric one which I have to admit does make them look better. I will let you know though, one night I could not find my tortilla press so I used two plates and it worked just the same.

3 cups flour (I use spelt)
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup oil

Mix liquids and add to dry. Knead until the dough is workable (not sticky, if sticky add more flour). Form into a log and let set for at least 10 minutes. Cut 1 inch slices and press in oiled press or between two plates. Remove and cook on a frying pan for about 2 minutes. Flip and cook about 1 minute.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Beth and Morgans Blog