Thursday, March 10, 2011

Strawberry Kefir -- A Success!

You were probably thinking I was done talking about the kefir... well, I'm not. I am so excited about how my fruit kefirs have been coming out. They are so yummy! Just take a look yourself, tell me this doesn't look delish!

This is fresh strawberry keylime flavor. Now this doesn't taste at all like flat Sprite (my previous description lol). It is so refreshing! It is so carbonated it actually exploded out of the bottle. Here, I will show you what it looked like before I bottled it...
You can see the fermentation at work! My little kefir grains are multiplying like Gremlins. I have an entire jar full of those babies now!
I have also used pineapple for a batch, but prefer the strawberry flavor. There will be more flavor concoctions to come.

I will soon give you an update on my Kombucha experiment as I have a batch bottled and sitting on the counter. It takes longer to ferment then the kefir so it's still not ready. I do have a correction to make though, I was incorrectly calling my mushroom a scobi and it's a y at the end, not an i. SCOBY actually stands for symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts. Fascinating huh? Ok, maybe just to me. :o)

As for the recipe, it is the same base as the regular kefir (which I have posted a few days ago) but after 24 hours of fermentation you remove the kefir grains and add a half cup of strawberry puree (I took about 4 large fresh strawberries and emulsified them with a little water). You let this sit for another 24 hours and then you bottle it in an air tight bottle (again, I use the grolsch beer bottles). Sometimes I let it sit out in the bottle for a day, sometimes I just put it in the refrigerator right away.

1 comment:

Beth and Morgans Blog