Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kefir Kombucha Experiments

Ok, so sorry for going on about my Kefir / Kombucha experiments but that's what I have been doing for the last few days. I tried my second batch of Kefir and it still wasn't carbonated. It almost reminded me of a flat Sprite. I know that's probably not selling it for you but it wasn't all that bad. I'm hoping my third batch comes out better. I did that one with fresh strawberries and key lime juice and then I put them in Grolsch beer bottles, the ones with the flip tops. We shall see! I did want to mention that the Kefir grains are very particular with metal... they don't like it. So any straining, stirring or storing should not be with anything metal.

I started my Kombucha and that was an interesting experience. My sister gave me her Scobi, which is the Chinese mushroom you use as the base. I'm not gonna lie, it was a little scary. It actually reminded me of an organ (the kind that could have been harvested from someones body). Anyway, you brew some tea (I used black) in some distilled water and some sugar (what the scobi feeds on) then you add it to the water crock with the Scobi and a bottle of store bought plain Kombucha. I also added some flavors (star anise and vanilla) because I tasted someones like that and it was amazing. It reminded me of root beer. Now I have to leave it on the counter to ferment for 5 days. After that you bottle it and let it sit on counter for about 5 more days. I am only on day 2 so we shall see.

Now I got both my Kefir grains and Scobi for the Kombuch from my sister. I know you can find them online. My sister got her scobi from someone online who sold an entire Kombucha kit. If you have any friends in the naturopath lifestyle they may be able to direct you locally as to where you can get this stuff.

Both processes are really simple and the rewards are worth it all those probiotics are gonna make your body so happy! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beth and Morgans Blog