Monday, April 18, 2011

Venting on Vending

Sorry it's been a while since my last post, I had a jam packed weekend. It was a nice family and friend filled weekend which left me with very little time to think, let alone post.

On Saturday we had Payton's tee ball then it was off to the Y. It was Healthy Kids Day there so they had all sorts of activities for the kids and it was all free...who doesn't love free! Now I do love the Y, however I feel like they miss the mark with nutrition. I have noticed quite a bit of overweight kids there, which is good that they are at the Y cause that means they are being active, but then you go to the rec room and see the vending machines.

Pepsi is a YMCA sponsor. Ok, I get it, the Y is non-profit and they need the money, but Pepsi, really? I can't think of a more unhealthy thing (OK, I can but let's not get off topic). There are 2 Pepsi soda vending machines, 1 water and a 1 Gatorade one (we've already discussed my feelings on Gatorade). But wait, that's not it. In between all these beverages is the snack machine. There is literally not one healthy snack in there! Then after the sports games they offer right outside the entrance hot dogs, hamburgers with chips and soda.

To me, there is no healthy without good nutrition. However, I learn more and more each day that for many, the two do not go hand in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beth and Morgans Blog