Saturday, November 20, 2010

"Food" Color?

So it's my sons 4th birthday and I need to make a cake. Normally I am pretty militant about not incorporating certain ingredients into my children’s diets, however, today I am going to use my 80/20 pass. For us, we try to live 80% natural and give ourselves a 20% not so natural rule. I've found if you want to maintain any sort of sanity give yourself some leeway. So I am making him a castle cake. For this I need some food coloring. Now I need to make ice cream cone toppers for my towers. While I was looking at all the baking items, I came across some food color spray. Ingenious!! Or so I thought. In all my excitement I did something I almost never do...forgot to read the label. When it came to using the spray I took my cones out and went at it. OMG it smelled like real spray paint! You know the kind you would spray some old furniture with. I almost died. Obviously this was NOT going to be incorporated into my son’s birthday cake. So I turned over the can and read it. Ethanol, Isobutane and Propane were the first ingredients. And someone decided these were appropriate food ingredients why? Oh let me guess, this must be an "acceptable level" of these known toxic ingredients based on serving size right? Another fantastic job by the FDA... amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beth and Morgans Blog