Monday, November 22, 2010

Life Changing Book

I was looking through my bookcase today and came across an old book and thought I would share it. Although my journey started before I read this book, much of what I read plays a HUGE role in my life to this day. I would definitely recommend it to everyone who has not read it. It's "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. Yes, some of you may have recognized it as a movie. To this day I am still trying to figure out how they got that movie from this book. Here are some key principals I took away from reading this book: Never, ever eat beef that was ground in a plant. Your chances of E Coli alone shoot up about 50% at least from this kind of beef. I'm not even going to get into the possibility of random body parts that get sucked through the chopper. Obviously, don't eat at fast food restaurants. I know, some they may think this is impossible, believe me I have drove past them wishing I would give in for pure convenience reasons, but trust me, it can be done. A piece of produce is a much faster food anyway ;o) Did you know, in some states it is illegal to call a milkshake a milkshake if it has no milk in it? Sound silly? Most fast food restaurants call them shakes for this very reason. They use the same ingredients to thicken paint as they do to get these "shakes" thick. Mmmm, yummy. I also learned about "artificial ingredients" from this book. The author has this amazing scene where he describes these very detailed food smells of grilled meat and such all while sitting blindfolded in a laboratory. As soon as he takes the blindfold off, there is the test strip with that wonderful smell. These very same companies are making fragrances for department brand perfume companies. Anyway, all and all it was a pretty big eye opener for me, reading this book. So next time you are looking for a new book, give this one a try, I promise it won't let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beth and Morgans Blog