Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Spelt Pineapple Pancakes

Pancakes are a staple in our breakfast routine. My kids just love them. They are so easy to make from scratch too. I love to experiment and put different ingredients in them like spices and fruits. I grind my own grains to make flour and my favorite to use here is Spelt. To me, it is almost interchangeable as far as flavor with white flour. It contains more protein, fat and crude fiber than wheat. It is also high in vitamin B potassium and iron. For those of you with wheat allergies (not gluten allergies) you may be able to experiment with this grain as it is not as hard to digest as wheat. The base of this recipe is always the same. Just add different things in at the end like cinnamon, blueberries, apples, banana, etc. This particular batch I made had chopped up pineapples in them. They were amazing! Butter and maple syrup need not come to this pancake party.

1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup spelt flour
1 1/2 Tbsp natural sugar (you could also use honey here or natural sugar alternative)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup small minced pineapple, fresh or frozen

Mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients and add dry to wet. Add in pineapple, give a quick stir and let rest for10 minutes. Spray pan with olive oil and cook till bubbly on one side then flip. I like to put mine on a baking rack so they cool but remain crunchy on the outsides. Hope your family enjoys them as much as mine does!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beth and Morgans Blog