Saturday, November 6, 2010

One Small Step from you, One Giant Leap for Your Body

As I mentioned, my journey to a healthier life did not happen overnight. Perhaps if an outsider was to look in now, they would think "holly crap" that sounds like too much work. Don't worry I would have said the same thing back then too. Specifically with me, the first thing I did was eliminate partially hydrogenated oil or what I call PHO. Now, this was way back before the term trans fat was plastered all over every packaged good. I learned in college from a teacher that your body has absolutely no way of processing this. I like to give people examples because I think it was paint a pretty clear picture as to why you do not want to eat even one gram of this crap. Shortening is pure PHO. If you take a tub of shortening and place it outside guess what happens to it... NOTHING! No creature will eat it, it will not evaporate. It just sits there in all its clumpy glory. MMMM right? Oh and here is another interesting factoid about PHO. Our wonderful FDA has passed a law that states that packaged goods can put trans fat free on their labels if there is less then .05 grams per serving in the product. OK, so we have already established that NO amount of PHO should be consumed right? OK, now I want you to tell me in this western civilization of ours, who the hell eats one serving of ANYTHING. Oh yeah, no one. That's why I tell everyone, READ YOUR LABELS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beth and Morgans Blog