Friday, June 17, 2011

Pharmaceutical Marketing

I came across this quote in a book I'm reading and felt it really said a lot:

"Marketing a disease is the best way to market a drug."

Isn't that the truth?! All I could think of was those pharmaceutical commercials with the shining, happy people talking about this awful health issue they are having, only to end the commercial with the list of side effects. They make these drugs seem so fantastic! I swear sometimes after listening to the symptoms for this issue they are providing drugs for even I almost think I have it! LOL

I read something once that said an actual side effect to a certain depression medication was depression!! I'm sorry, but that is just crazy! Now, don't get me wrong, some people need to be on medication and it does play a part in some healing, but I think it is fair to say that we are an over medicated society.

Pharmaceutical companies are no group of dummies. They market to the consumers and literally put in their ads to talk to your doctor about their fantastic medication. They know full well that doctors are busy people and if someone comes in saying how they have this "ailment" and need "this" medication they have seen in the magazine or on TV, chances are they will write then a script for it!

We do live in a magic pill/quick fix society where everyone is in a rush for who knows what really. We could all benefit from some calm down time where we can reflect and give our body the break it needs. Just Breathe!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you brought this up, because I have a huge problem with this, and I am in marketing. Seriously, can we come up with one more abbreviation, RLS, ADD, ED, and "REALLY" side effects could include "DEATH" ...Really. And who came up with the creepy wind up doll for the Pristiq commercials -Oh yah, that’s totally going to encourage me to take that pill. Take this medicine for your depression, we will build your trust with our friendly hunched over wind up doll to give you the security that our product will make you feel better. I'm not against all medicine especially if it cures, but these commercials are so counterproductive to our evolution as a healthy humanity.. I understand that medications do help so many, but maybe you could try to rule out other things like diet, environment, faith, etc. first. Why isn’t there more commercials talking about diet and organic food. Thats helped many as well. Oh yah, they can’t make as much money off that. Did you know that when you don't get the right nutrition, your liver can actually cause anger and depression. But marketing is the real topic here.. how stupid do they think I really am? Because the woman is running down the beach, jumping up and down with joy I am just going to miss the part where they say, “could cause brain damage or death”. I guess the ad agencies really have their work cut out for them. They are making millions off people so I guess the real question is...who has the last laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a story my friend four time Hall of Famer, coach David Bowden told me yesterday in an effort to help me with a young girl I am developing as an artist. It was about a new meal program they started at an underprivileged school for breakfast. When they enforced it, the kids actually went from beating each other up, to happy kids. The solution, the kids weren't eating properly, or at all, and it was causing anger problems. I agree with the first comment reply. So what about all the kids who are being prescribed with the marketing/health term ADD and being put on meds. Could they just be on the wrong diet? My cousins son suffers from allergies and was in and out of doctors offices with one failed prescription after another, until she went to a naturopathic, and now he is well... I agree: We do live in a magic pill/quick fix society where everyone is in a rush for who knows what really.This doesn't apply to everything, but in some instances, think about what you are putting into your body, or not putting in your body. Start there, and then think of other options. Peggy I'd love to hear what you think? Great post Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutrition is always the last suggestion it seems even though it should be the first! It totally amazes me and drives me CRAZY.

    As far as the ADD comment Beth, I just read in my book that after Ritalin was approved in 1961 more than 100,000 kids were taking the drug within the decade. By the 80's 1,000,000 kids were on it. And by the turn of the century, 6,000,000 kids were taking Ritalin in the US alone!! Diet has such an impact on kids with ADD/ADHD it just makes me sad to think about them just being medicated.

    ReplyDelete

Beth and Morgans Blog